Is it important the partition Id when partition a hard disk with fdisk in Linux?

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:13:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM, littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com> wrote:

>> EX, if you change the ID on a NTFS volume from 0x07 to some random
>> value, linux has no issues mounting it (albet, windows may have a fit)
>
> Thanks for your detailed reply.
>
> I used CDlinux(a linux livecd) to format a Windows FAT32 partition( which shown as zero bytes partition under Windows) to NTFS format after copied the data inside into other place under CDlinux. But I forgot to change its partition Id from "b"(W95 FAT32) to "7"(HPFS/NTFS) in "fdisk". After copied the data return into this partition, I booted into Windows and did a disk scanning and repairing on this partition and no error or warning reported.
>
> Some days later, I remembered that I forgot to change that partition Id to the proper one "7". The machine is my friend's, I am wondering if I should call him to deliver the machine to me to fix this problem, I am not sure if this problem will cause some more serious accident in the future.

*shrug*,  I would imagine it is either working, or not working.   but
I am fairly confident that if it is working now, it will not break in
the future due to the partition ID.  Windows can take care of itself.

although I suppose having it as a 0x0b instead of a 0x07 could cause
more strain to the magnetic media...  possibly shortening it's
lifespan by 0.27 seconds.