Is it important the partition Id when partition a hard disk with fdisk in Linux?

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:25:05 PDT 2010

Hi,

I found a fact, I set the wrong partition Id to a hard disk partition when I use fdisk in Linux, after I format this partition with mkfs command, this partition is always work for me.

For example, I seted a partition Id with "b" (vfat, it should be "83" for a Linux partition), and format it to a ext3 file system with command mkfs.ext3, the everything is ok.

So I don't know what is the function of this partition Id? Is there any issue when set this wrong partition Id like the previous example? Is it only a two words' tag in Disk Partition Table and no any other meaning?

--
littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com>