How to measure language -- Google will find anything I misspell here![was: Re: LFS 6.6-rc1 corrections]

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 22 03:02:29 PST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:06:20 +0100, "Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel" <trollfood at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Please don't misunderstand me here. This is no language battle. I just
> don't agree that something becomes "right" as long as the majority does it.
> Neither do I think "right" is an adequate term for languages.

Don't get me started!  The abuse of 'lend' and 'borrow' is fairly pervasive and seems to
be getting worse (e.g. people have a tendency to say 'can you borrow me £10' or 'can I lend £10
off of you').  'teach' and 'learn' are similarly interchanged without the speaker being aware of
how confused they sound...'she learned me how to speak' is just one horrible example!

And, whilst mildly amusing, 'simples' (synonym for 'simple') is becoming more and more common
thanks to a popular advert over here.

I wonder whether it's our selfish nature that thinks this is acceptable, but in a world getting
smaller by the day, it seems pretty presumptious/arrogant to think that non-native speakers should
have to do the 'double-take' so as to figure out what the speaker actually meant as opposed to
what they actually said.

Mind you, when our government comes out with stupid slogans such as "the 3 'Rs" as to how to
tackle falling standards in education, and those 3 R's consist of Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
what chance do we have?

Regards,

Matt.