svgalib kernel issues

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:47:55 PST 2010

 I googled my svgalib_helper  linux-2.6.36 problem and it was reported
to  bugs.gentoo.org with the same error output I had.

error: unknown field ‘ioctl' specified in initializer

In  linux-2.6.36/include/fs.h  struct file_operations {...

the ioctl definition was removed  but there were unlocked_ioctl and
compat_ioctl . I checked linux-2.6.35.2 and all three were in fs.h.

I tried plugging in both unlocked_ioctl and compat_ioctl into the
svgalib_helper code and the module compiled  but didn't work
correctly. Hopefully whoever maintains the package in gentoo
will come up with a patch.

 I backed up to linux-2.6.35.2 and have not seen any problems yet
concerning header compatibility. I wish I had known this when I
started my build.

--- Mike H. ---