Upgrading binutils, gcc and glibc

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 22 12:17:51 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:20:56PM +0200, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 07:00:39PM +0200, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> >
> >> Did you first upgrade binutils, gcc or glibc? And which of these
> >> packages came second?
> >
> > I rebuilt *everything*, by following (or developing) the book.
> >
> You mean you upgraded all three packages at once in a single rebuild?

 I upgraded the whole of LFS.  The phrase "I upgraded all three
packages at once in a single rebuild" could also be read as "I
upgraded *only* binutils, gcc, and glibc on an existing system"
which in my opinion is never a sensible way forward on an
LFS-derived system.

 For most of us, if our base system (LFS, clfs, paldo, DIY,
whatever) has gone past it's "best before" date, it is time to
build a new system using either a current development version, or
the last stable version.

 If you are a developer and need to try new versions of gcc you can
put them in /opt or /usr/local if you have to (although that only
really makes sense if your current system uses gcc-4.3 and you want
to test 4.4).  If you have a special need to support an old version
of gcc, keep an old system just for that.

ĸen