Upgrading binutils, gcc and glibc

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 22 07:06:55 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:16:47AM +0200, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to upgrade binutils, gcc and glibc from versions 2.15,
> 3.4.3 and 2.3.4 respectively to more recent versions?  If so, in what steps
> did you do it?
>
> Regards,
> Angel Tsankov

 Well, back when I was running those versions, I upgraded to
the next versions, so at that stage it wouldn't have been anything
newer than 2.16.1, 4.0.3, 2.3.6 ( I no longer have notes from that
far back ).  But whichever version I'm upgrading from, the process
is always the same - rebuild everything:

(i) Upgrade to the new kernel.  Arguably, this is optional, but it
allows me to test the .config on the old system, and then I can
choose --enable-kernel=current when I build the new glibc.  [ Maybe
not a worthwhile switch, opinions were divided when this was last
discussed ].

(ii.) Build LFS (so, you need a spare filesystem - I keep several on
my desktop boxes, and they share /home).

(iii.) Based on which packages you built for the current system,
build everything else (BLFS and anything else you use).

ĸen