An idea on extending the "Package users" approach

Eric Herman eric at mysql.com
Thu Jan 8 01:53:41 PST 2009

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> The version info is as easy as adding a "echo $VERSION >
> ~$PKG/.version" in the script. What is the advantage of having that

Or rather than the .version file, Brett Neumeier gave me the idea that
if we use the .plan and .project files we can use the "pinky" command
from coreutils to query this data easily. Also, if there is more info
than simply the version, we can echo that to the .project file as well.
For instance, it might be useful to also echo the names of patches applied:

eric:~$ pinky -l openssl
Login name: openssl                     In real life:  OpenSSL
Directory: /usr/src/openssl             Shell:  /bin/bash
Project: openssl-0.9.8h
openssl-0.9.8g-fix_manpages-1.patch

eric:~$

Cheers,