An idea on extending the "Package users" approach

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 7 12:11:03 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Angel Tsankov <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>> Basically what you suggest is possible, but IMO (as a long time
>> pkg-user user) it does not provide me any extra usability to
>> compensate for the added complexity. The key for me is automation.
>>
> I like the 'package users' approach but I think it misses the version
> information -- I find this information useful.
> My idea is to make 'package users' a little bit information at the expense
> of some more (but not too much IMO) "book keeping".  What exactly do you
> find difficult to automate?

The version info is as easy as adding a "echo $VERSION >
~$PKG/.version" in the script. What is the advantage of having that
info in the username since only one version of a package can be
installed at a time? Also having strange characters in the username
means that the username may not fit in the format expected by shadow.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org