An idea on extending the "Package users" approach

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Tue Jan 6 15:58:03 PST 2009

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Angel Tsankov
> <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
>> Are you saying that users belonging to group G cannot change a file
>> whose group is G?
>>

> Unless you explicitly modify the file permissions after each
> installation or set the appropriate umask, there are no group write
> permissions for the installed files.

You will not have to modify the permission right after installing some of a
package, but rather -- before any subsequent installation of a different
version of the same package.

> The hint in fact relies on one pkg-user not being able to modify the
> files created by another pkg-user to identify collisions.

I find the idea more like an extension to 'package users' and it does not
circumvent 'package users' -- collisions are still possible but only between
*unrelated* packages.  And I find different versions of the same program
somewhat related.

--Angel