An idea on extending the "Package users" approach

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 6 09:19:21 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Angel Tsankov <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
> In his hint "Package users" Matthias Benkmann recommends to name the primary
> group of a package user after the user name.  But why duplicate information
> instead of extending it?!

Having username=groupname is helpful in cases where the user/group
needs to be changed to root for setuid/setgid scripts.

>  Couldn't we name the primary group after the
> package (just as he suggests) but name the package user after the package
> *and* the package version?  This would make it very easy to find which
> version or versions of a package are installed (provided that when removing
> version V of package P *all* files belonging to the respective user are
> removed).  Does anyone see any flaws of this idea?

Lot of file clashes between users. Say you install foo-1.0 and then
upgrade to foo-1.2. Generally, there will be lot of files that will be
common to both foo-1.0 and foo-1.2. User foo-1.2 cannot update these
files belonging to foo-1.0 without manual intervention.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org