An idea on extending the "Package users" approach

Herman Gerritsen lfsmailing at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 07:24:37 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Angel Tsankov <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:
> In his hint "Package users" Matthias Benkmann recommends to name the primary
> group of a package user after the user name.  But why duplicate information
> instead of extending it?!  Couldn't we name the primary group after the
> package (just as he suggests) but name the package user after the package
> *and* the package version?  This would make it very easy to find which
> version or versions of a package are installed (provided that when removing
> version V of package P *all* files belonging to the respective user are
> removed).  Does anyone see any flaws of this idea?
>
> --Angel Tsankov

You can use the name for what ever you want.
Though there easier ways to find version of installed software I think.
like "<program> --version" and every installed library has its version
number in its name

I think Matthias Benkman has pointed out more usefull things to do
with the group name :)

Herman Gerritsen