ASUS Eee PC Notebook

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:31:54 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Adrian Fisher <adrian at leofcwen.com> wrote:
> Hello all :)
>
> I am considering getting an Asus Eee PC laptop for my LFS.  Has anyone
> else used one of these devices for this and if so, did it work well?
> Were you still able to use the ASUS online storage or does that depend
> on their own software?
>
> SPEC:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/BK002-Netbook-Linux-Preloaded-Black/dp/B001C9UTMM/
>
> If this machine is not the best way to go can anyone recommend a more
> suitable device in this category?
>
> Regards,
>
> A.

I use one myself with LFS, and it works well

I have the 701 Asus one 4G, but I would probably choose their 901 if I
was buying one as of today, as it's slightly lower power, slightly
more battery power, and larger screen.  (also, the atom has a 64bit
processor, and the virtualization instructions)

I like the flash harddrive myself, but I am used to using 4G linux
partitions.  Not sure if that fits your needs or not  Most of the
newer ones seem to be migrating ton onboard harddrives instead

I think the Asus ones are a bit more expensive then some of the
alternatives out there.  Acer had one with slightly better specs then
mine, and a slightly cheaper price.  No clue on quality though.

Take a look at http://www.nathancoulson.com/proj_eee.shtml if you want
to see some of the tweaks I made to my LFS build.  (Getting dated, and
most of those external drivers are either intree, or have alternatives
now).

Never heard of Asus Online Storage

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)