Bought a Phenom, now what?

Mike Lynch mjlynch at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 4 03:44:42 PST 2009

Robert R. Russell wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 06:58:45 am Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:03:13AM +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:
>>
>>> I just ordered (very cheap in these recessionary days) a PhenomX4 9950
>>> processor-based mobo with 4GB to replace my Athlon XP with 512MB.  Now
>>> come all the issues like:
>>>
>>> 1) Do I build 64bit-pure or multilib?
>>>
>>  If it's for a desktop, the issues with building multilib will teach
>> you a lot more about how it all works, and cause you to think about
>> it all (unless you just throw in all the libraries two-by-two, and
>> even then you will learn about some of it).
>>
>>  Personally, I'm thinking about giving up multilib (been there, got
>> it working, fed up with having two sets of build scripts for my
>> desktops and building libraries and gtk twice).  Depends on where I
>> go with ppc64!
>>
>>  Drawbacks to pure64 :
>>
>> o different bootloader (for some reason, people here tend to prefer
>> grub - personally, I can screw things up with *any* bootloader :-)
>>
>> o binary video drivers will probably only work with lib64 symlinks,
>> but ati are now co-operative so current xorg should probably be ok
>>
>> o binary plugins won't work - I've long since given up on real audio
>> for *any* architecture (BBC radio), and AFAIK iplayer isn't working
>> yet (I saw a link to "test versions" but couldn't find anything to
>> download).  For flash, I've got a partial success with gnash (and
>> totem) - no predicatability about which websites and youtube videos
>> will work and which will not.
>>

> adobe has a working 64bit flash plugin for firefox3. I don't know if it is
> compatible with firefox2. Right now Java is the real pain for 64bit Linux and
> I am moving back to 32 bit for a few more months to let those problems settle
> out.
>

>>  Probably, a large chunk of the RAM.  You also stick with the
>> limited number of registers available on x86, although I've no idea
>> how much difference that makes on current processors (all my testing
>> was on a single processor 3 or 4 years ago).
>>
>> ĸen
>> --
>> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
>>

> If you have less than 2GB of ram don't use 64bit. I haven't seen a crankier
> linux box than my current 64bit quad core with only 1GB.  The 32bit dual core
> has 4GB and runs great except for issues with the mtrrs, but I haven't moved
> to a kernel version that includes the bugfix yet. However, the few times I
> have attempted 64bit on the dual core the performance difference is
> noticeable, about 25% to 30% percent faster build times, but no Java plugin
> is a real party crasher.
>
> Just some experiences that I have had you millage may/probably will vary.

The 64 bit compatible flash player and JAVA issues are the primary
reason I haven't moved
to pure 64 bit.  What I don't understand is why on earth is it taking so
long for those two things
to get worked out?  Does anyone have any insignt?  I've done 32 to 64
bit software porting
and it's just not that difficult to do.  If anything it's just tedious
busywork more than anything
else.