Bought a Phenom, now what?

Robert R. Russell zoohoo.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 22:35:06 PST 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009 06:58:45 am Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 09:03:13AM +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:
> > I just ordered (very cheap in these recessionary days) a PhenomX4 9950
> > processor-based mobo with 4GB to replace my Athlon XP with 512MB.  Now
> > come all the issues like:
> >
> > 1) Do I build 64bit-pure or multilib?
>
>  If it's for a desktop, the issues with building multilib will teach
> you a lot more about how it all works, and cause you to think about
> it all (unless you just throw in all the libraries two-by-two, and
> even then you will learn about some of it).
>
>  Personally, I'm thinking about giving up multilib (been there, got
> it working, fed up with having two sets of build scripts for my
> desktops and building libraries and gtk twice).  Depends on where I
> go with ppc64!
>
>  Drawbacks to pure64 :
>
> o different bootloader (for some reason, people here tend to prefer
> grub - personally, I can screw things up with *any* bootloader :-)
>
> o binary video drivers will probably only work with lib64 symlinks,
> but ati are now co-operative so current xorg should probably be ok
>
> o binary plugins won't work - I've long since given up on real audio
> for *any* architecture (BBC radio), and AFAIK iplayer isn't working
> yet (I saw a link to "test versions" but couldn't find anything to
> download).  For flash, I've got a partial success with gnash (and
> totem) - no predicatability about which websites and youtube videos
> will work and which will not.

adobe has a working 64bit flash plugin for firefox3. I don't know if it is
compatible with firefox2. Right now Java is the real pain for 64bit Linux and
I am moving back to 32 bit for a few more months to let those problems settle
out.

>  Probably, a large chunk of the RAM.  You also stick with the
> limited number of registers available on x86, although I've no idea
> how much difference that makes on current processors (all my testing
> was on a single processor 3 or 4 years ago).
>
> ĸen
> --
> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

If you have less than 2GB of ram don't use 64bit. I haven't seen a crankier
linux box than my current 64bit quad core with only 1GB.  The 32bit dual core
has 4GB and runs great except for issues with the mtrrs, but I haven't moved
to a kernel version that includes the bugfix yet. However, the few times I
have attempted 64bit on the dual core the performance difference is
noticeable, about 25% to 30% percent faster build times, but no Java plugin
is a real party crasher.

Just some experiences that I have had you millage may/probably will vary.