Convention/standard for naming files, functions and variables

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 3 12:13:08 PST 2009

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:31:57 +0200, "Angel Tsankov" <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:

> Do you use lowerCamelCase also to name your files and do you differentiate
> shell scripts, music/video files, books when it comes to file names?

I use lowerCamelCase in my source code files (python, shell, C++, etc. - note that
Java doesn't let you do this, I don't think; there the case of the file name has to
match the case of the class contained within the file, which by normal Java
conventions is UpperCamelCase).  I tend to use hyphens if I'm writing a plain-text
notes style document, and my ripped audio files contain hyphens to delimit their
fields (~/music/artist/albumTitle/trackNo-trackTitle), where any spaces in any of
the fields are converted to '_'.  Suffice it to say, all of these are pretty
personal choices, and you should really just choose whatever works for you.

Regards,

Matt.