How to update packages in a LFS system

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:08:10 PST 2009

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:55:11 +0200
"Angel Tsankov" <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:

> > What I'm trying to say is that upgrading a package (major) is
> > possible imho.
> >
> If updating (or should I say "upgrading"?) a package is dangerous, then how
> can one keep a LFS system up to date? <snip>
>
> P.S. How often do you reinstall your Linux systems?

I usually rebuild my whole system from scratch about twice a year (I
have scripts for most of it). In between rebuilds I rebuild any package
other than binutils/gcc/glibc - the c-lib and it's toolchain

I usually take a root system snapshot to a spare partition before
rebuilding anything critical though - I have never had to use it.  One
can get too paranoid about these things in my opinion.

R.