How to update packages in a LFS system

Trent Shea trent.shea at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:02:57 PST 2009

On January 2, 2009 11:55:11 am Angel Tsankov wrote:
> As Stef Bon points out, sometimes one
> does have to update a package (even to a greater major version number)
> because that version is required by another package the user needs.  What
> do people do in such cases?

The following document may help to shed some light.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

My understanding is basically that if a library changes enough to break
backwards compatibility there would/should be a version/name change thus
allowing multiple versions to be installed. However, I have no idea how this
works in the real world.

Another option may be to install the 'new' version into another directory and
provide the required compile time flags to link against it.

> One possible solution might be to make a list of all packages which depend
> on the package being updated and rebuild them after updating the package
> (possibly updating them, too).  If this idea is viable, then comes the
> question how one can find the dependencies.

I find this to be the tricky part. After following the lists for some time it
appears that some software packages behave, and some don't (depending how you
look at it :). Running ldd on binaries and libraries will help to find some
dependencies, strace may also provide relevant information, and the .deps
folder in the software package may help too.

Anyhow, my knowledge here is quite limited. I'm really hoping someone with the
time and expertise may pick this thread up, or perhaps provide a link or two
for further reading.

Trent.