How to update packages in a LFS system

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Fri Jan 2 11:55:11 PST 2009

> What I'm trying to say is that upgrading a package (major) is
> possible imho.

If updating (or should I say "upgrading"?) a package is dangerous, then how
can one keep a LFS system up to date?  As Stef Bon points out, sometimes one
does have to update a package (even to a greater major version number)
because that version is required by another package the user needs.  What do
people do in such cases?

One possible solution might be to make a list of all packages which depend
on the package being updated and rebuild them after updating the package
(possibly updating them, too).  If this idea is viable, then comes the
question how one can find the dependencies.  The dependencies of most
packages are mentioned on the packages' web sites.  The web sites get
updated when new versions of the packages are released and any information
about the dependencies of previous versions is usually lost.

Angel Tsankov

P.S. How often do you reinstall your Linux systems?