How to update packages in a LFS system

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 2 09:34:30 PST 2009

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:14:53 +0200, "Angel Tsankov" <fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg> wrote:

> Assuming that a LFS system is installed, what is the proper way to update
> any of its packages?  Is it enough to build and install only the packages
> in question (including their dependencies, of course)?  What about packages
> comprising the toolchain?

I generally will update any LFS package to its latest version with the
following caveats:

1) Libraries - generally just stick to the latest 'patch'/'minor' release,
i.e. avoid major release number bumps as these traditionally indicate major
API/ABI breakages which would require recompilation of anything that depends
on the library.  In cases of API breakages, this may involve rewriting a
dependant's source code to use the new/changed API.

2) Glibc - avoid completely now due to it not having stable releases.

3) Udev - I treat with caution due to its tendency to change behaviour with
regard to the rules files.

4) Kernel - As per the advice in the book, don't install the kernel headers,
but upgrading the kernel itself is normally safe enough (and one can even keep
the known working book version of the kernel and System.map around with its
own entry in Grub's menu.lst such that you can boot into a working system to
fix up .config related issues with the new kernel).

Hope this helps,

Matt.