Patching Xorg

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Fri Jan 2 03:17:01 PST 2009

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:56:53PM +0200, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> How am I supposed to apply the following patch:
>> http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.2/patches/xorg-68x-dbe-render.patch.
>> I'm particularly interested in the command line arguments to "patch"
>> and the directory where I should call it.  I tried "patch -Np1 -i
>> xorg-68x-dbe-render.patch" and "patch -N -i
>> xorg-68x-dbe-render.patch" in xc, xc/programs, xc/programs/Xserver,
>> and xc/programs/Xserver/dbe but none of my tries was successful.
>>
> We used to have all manner of weirdly-diffed patches in kde
> security updates. I suppose you will need -Np0 from within
> xc/programs/Xserver, or
>
> pushd xc/programs/Xserver
> patch -Np0 -i /path/to/patch
> popd

Later on, I'll try this and write back what happens.  I thought "patch -N"
was equivalent to "patch -Np0".

> BUT, I have a lot of difficulty trying to understand why anyone
> would build such an *antique* version of xorg.

I'm building BLFS 6.1 and it contains instruction on building this specific
version of xorg.  Currently, I do not dare deviating from LFS or from BLFS
very much: for the moment I only want a Linux distribution that allows as
much freedom as possible.  Later on, I'll probably start updating the
packages that do not suit my needs.  This brings me to another question
which I'll post in a new thread -- what is the proper way to update packages
in a LFS system.

Angel Tsankov