Question about Chapter 6.10. Re-adjusting the Toolchain

mantiz at gmx.net mantiz at gmx.net
Thu Nov 15 12:52:42 PST 2007

CS> mantiz at gmx.net wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I started a new installation of LFS-6.3 and I want to install the base
>> lfs-system into the prefix /pkgs/lfs-6.3.
>> I don't want to discuss if this makes any sense because for me it
>> does. :)
>>
>> All tests are OK in chapter 6.10. except this one:
>>> grep 'SEARCH.*/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
>>
>> Here I get the output:
>>> SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>>> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
>>> SEARCH_DIR("/lib");
>>
>> I'm missing a line with:
>>> SEARCH_DIR("/pkgs/lfs-6.3/lib")
>>
>> Where can I tell the system to search in '/pkgs/lfs-6.3/lib', too?
>>
>> Thanks for any help. :)
>>
>> mfg
>> Christian
>>

CS> I think that either you don't understand the concept of chrooting, or I
CS> just don't get what you're asking. If you simply mean that you set
CS> $LFS=/pkgs/lfs-6.3 then that's where you've chrooted into, so of course
CS> once you're chrooted then /pkgs/lfs-6.3/lib becomes /lib.

Sorry, but you misunderstood me.
I have exported $LFS=/mnt/lfs like it is in the book. But I don't want
to install the packages of LFS with the prefix /usr but with prefix
/pkgs/lfs-6.3.
I want that the core system is located in /pkgs/lfs-6.3.

My thoughts about this are:
At the moment i reinstall my whole system if I want to install a new
LFS system. But if I have the working LFS system in /pkgs/lfs-6.3 I
can prepare the new one in let's say /pkgs/lfs-6.4 and change a
symlink from lfs-6.3 to lfs-6.4.
And if everything worked fine I can delete /pkgs/lfs-6.3 and the
upgrade process is done.
This works for me for normal packages since 2 years now, each package
has its own directory, e.g. /pkgs/firefox-2.0.0.6 and so on. If I want
to install a new version I can do it without being in danger to delete
the old package.
And now I thought that this what works with other packages should work
for the core system, too. :)