What is lfs/blfs used for?

lfs-chat at linuxfromscratch.org lfs-chat at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 18 03:40:25 PDT 2007

short answer: for audio work.

here is long answer:

i have three linux systems derived hrom (b)lfs.

the first one ("kundalinux") is my desktop system, intended and
optimized for hi-performance audio work, but also doing lots of other
desktop job well. it is built with many compile-time optimizations and
features (modified) pam + tcb (http://www.openwall.com/tcb/) password
shadowing, so called 'rootless' system tree with modified layout,
gnustep + windowmaker as gui, and lots of other stuff that is not in
(b)lfs.

the second one ("openAir") is very small hard-realtime linux system
designed for live performance with csound driven via hardware midi
controllers (and for recording the result to hdd). it consists of
kernel, alsa stuff, busybox, csound, midnight commander and necessary
libraries. i'm going to put csound to run in kernelspace when i'll have
enough c programming skills :) and someday this little cool thing will
have its own website.

and there is also the third one ("toolbox"). it is derived from
bootable clfs temporary system. i added to /tools directory some
networking tools, some stuff for partitioning and filesystems
manipulations, and of course midnight commander and audio stuff to
listen to my music :) finally, i made a live cd of that all and got the
true (b)lfs rescue system :)

so, the second chapter. i started to use linux in 1999, after some
playing with windoze and discovering that it's not my cup of tea. when
i discovered csound in 2000, i figured out that all my audio work can
be done somehow with linux only, and wiped windoze out of my hdd.

in year or two mandrake 9.0 was released, and it was total
disappointment for me, so i moved to alt linux (http://altlinux.com/).
btw, i have it on my box right now, since my previous lfs systems
(including rescue) were compiled for powerpc :)

i started my lfs experiments in 2004 since i needed very small and fast
linux system for live performance. regular distros were too sloooooow
for that even with patched kernels. this experience was awesome, so i
desided to build my desktop system from scratch too. the rest is
described above.

p.s.
for those who might be interested. here's my list of audio software:
MusE - for sequencing
audacity - for basic wave editing
ardour - for multitrack recording and mixing
jamin - for the final mastering
csound - all the synthesizing & fx processing job, and the only thing
for live performance.
cabel - a good graphical front-end to csound. handy for building and
testing instruments/fx configurations.
i did not included common stuff like alsa or jack to this list.