What is lfs/blfs used for?

Shawn sks at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 16 15:10:28 PDT 2007

Hi All:

Lupine's question about the newly released version of gnome led me to
think about how lfs/blfs is used by the community.

As a side bar to all this compiling and debugging, I ask, "What do you
use lfs/blfs for?".

Also, where did you come from? I don't mean where on this planet, but I
mean in the linux world. How much linux experience do you have?

I'm curious about these questions as I have been here for a few months
now and I can recognize who the movers and shakers are in the lfs/blfs
world. But what about the rest of us?

I'll start.

I use lfs/blfs for development of my own projects. Right now I am
working on a user-space app that reads the various data structures of a
ext2 filesystem and dumps them back to stdout. Very similar to the
functionality of dumpe2fs. It was this list that gave me the
inspiration to tackle such a project when somebody asked (a while ago)
how to recover their broken filesystem.

My previous linux dist. was gentoo. The first time I used a linux system
must have been about 10 years ago with a dist. named caldera. I
remember when I put the boot disk in my computer it did not recognize
my mouse or keyboard. We've come a long way since then:)

I came to lfs because I needed to know more. lfs has been a "great"
learning experience.

Since my priority right now is development of my own apps., I crave a
stable system. My base system is lfs 6.2 and app. environment is mostly
blfs-dev mixed with my own additions. I use kdevelop as my IDE.

This is my hobby. Not my job.

At this point I will say thanks to the maintainers of the lfs/blfs books
(you know who you are). Sometimes I feel guilty for not attempting to
help you guys but my focus is on my own development projects.

I would like to single out two contributors to the lfs/blfs community.
Dan and Ken. I notice them often. They give very intelligent answers to
the many, many questions asked. We are lucky to have access to such
experienced users.

Thanks,
Shawn