Bought a (cheap) Widescreen laptop...

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 04:59:48 PDT 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 01:34:59 +0200
"Carlos Martín Nieto" <carlosmn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/07, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > never had one of these before.  How in (expletive deleted) do you
> > get things like jpegs to display with the right aspect ratio in,
> > say, Gimp?
>
>  You need to set the resolution to a widescreen one (1280x800 is a
> popular one). On LFS, I suppose you have to do it yourself, basically
> every other distribution will detect a widescreen monitor and set the
> resolution appropiately.
>
>    cmn

Thanks for this.  It turns out to be slightly more complicated.  The
Intel i810 driver has some deficiencies and relies on the Bios passing
the correct information - it doesn't.  Turns out I need 915resolution a
hack for the video bios.  Then the driver gets the resolution right.

Link here:

http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

Replying for the Arch Hives.
R.