Upgrading udev

Dave Abergel davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 23:53:22 PST 2007

Hi all

I'm not sure if this question belongs on one of the support lists, but
as it's so general I thought I'd post here and let the Powers That Be
decide if I've erred.

I'm trying to get the wireless card (an ipw-2200) to work on my laptop.
I'm using the built-in kernel driver from 2.6.19.1, and firmware version
3.0. However, http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw2200 suggests that I
also need udev-087. I currently have udev-056 so I guess I have to upgrade.

My question is, the following: Is it considered safe to upgrade udev
without rebuilding the rest of the toolchain? If so can I just install
it right over the top of the old version or is it better to uninstall
first? Is there anything else that I ought to know before I attempt it?

Many thanks for your time.

Dave
--
LFS User #16110 - You know open source makes sense