World of Warcraft

Petrus petrus4 at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 25 12:04:01 PST 2007

Hey guys,
For anyone who's interested, after having tried a few times in the last few
months (including once on FreeBSD) I've just succeeded in getting World of
Warcraft running with Ubuntu Dapper Drake and Wine 0.9.31.  Not LFS I know,
but I might throw together a hint once I've figured out some more stuff.

Briefly though...If you're interested in having a crack at it yourself, the
instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft) can
presumably be adapted; use the latest Wine 0.9.31.  You might also want to
take apart the Ubuntu deb from the wine repo to see if there are any
wow-specific patches in it that we could adapt for LFS...that was going to
be my next step.

Another minor point is that although the OpenGL rendering of WoW looks
gorgeous, you will not only need a powerful system/video card, (NVidia
recommended) but you'll also need to hack WoW's Config.wtf file a bit,
depending on how powerful your machine is.  The thing you really want to
work on getting down to a manageable point is the 3d draw distance in
particular...your framerate will die if that isn't low enough.  Mine is as
low as I could get it without it causing weird glitches because of stuff not
being drawn that was right in front of me.

Although there have been a few people doing this for a while now, the
ability to run this game is a major coup for Linux...Games are one of the
last incentives people have had to use Windows.  Take that away and there's
very little left.  The other great thing is that it's WoW...not Frozen
Bubble.  That does a lot for credibility.

If we can write a hint, a prefab config.wtf file with some good defaults
that someone can slap straight into the wow directory would prolly go great
with it.