Website Building

Jaqui Greenlees jaqui_greenlees at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 18 00:16:58 PST 2007

--- Colin Dean <cdean at cs.westminster.edu> wrote:

> I can't remember if PHP4 has support for SQLLite,
> but if you can find a
> CMS that can use it, you're golden.
>
> SQLLite is a file-based database. It's a slower than
> the real DB
> servers, but it will probably suffice for a year
> unless your web site is
> going to see especially heavily traffic.

Flat files have two advantages over the heavily
structured database files, they can be opened in most
text editors, so you can easily recover data, and they
tend to be smaller in disk space requirements.

I beleive that most engines will work with flat files
if you build them to do so, without a significant loss
in performance.

The biggest drawback to a flat file database is the
loss of data protection. In a website situation, while
it will work, you have to make the dbengine be the
only read access to the folder the file is stored in,
or your entire database is exposed to the internet, It
is far better to use either mysql or postgresql, both
of which can be used free of charge, even on a
commercial website.
[ MySQL's cmmercial license only applies to commercial
redistribution of the engine, Postgresql is BSD
Licsenced, which explicitly allows any commercial use. ]