Problems w/ Jack, looking for good soundcard

R. Quenett qcal at quen.net
Wed Dec 5 15:57:52 PST 2007

from Nathan Coulson:

" determine how capable any particular audio device is.  I did like how
" the "Turtle Beach Montego II"  soundcard looks, but I want to learn

I went on a similar quest a number of  years ago. A couple of random
thoughts burble to the surface.  Perhaps not applicable to your
hardware or situation, if I recall correctly, and for what it's
worth,

-via chipsets at the time were reported to have a latency problem.  I
know you mentioned intel but it appears that this problem can arise
at the chipset level so who knows.
-there is some really expensive, really high end, sometimes hard to
find, stuff out there.  Personal preference becomes very significant.
Most of it is way over my head, and budget.
-I wound up with an m-audio delta 1010 (http://www.m-audio.com/)
running under the evil os.  M-Audio claims that there are third party
linux drivers available.  The DAC's are in a separate box outside of
the electrically very noisy computer case, which is a Good Thing(tm).

Pay your own bills.