Problems w/ Jack, looking for good soundcard

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 23:41:02 PST 2007

System:
-GA-965G-DS3 mobo
-965G intel chipset
-DDR2 800Mhz 2x1GB.
-6400 Core2 duo
-HDAIntel soundcard

I decided to see if I can get jack working on my home system (as well
as a few audio editing programs), when I began to realize that I was
going to have a few problems.

(Origional Configuration)
jackd -Rv -d alsa

lmms and ardour both had static with the notes.  Doing some reading,
it sounded like it was most likely latency.

Some fooling around later, came up with jackd -Rv  -d alsa  -d hw:0 -P
-o 2 -i 0  -p 1024 -n 2
(varied around with -p some), and upgraded from 2.6.22.11 to
2.6.24-rc3.  That made the static about 50% better.

When I did a bit more digging,  I came across a post mentioning that
hda-intel is not well documented and does not work well [advised to
set periods to 3 "-n 3", as well  as position-fix to 1], but the
suggestions never made any noticable difference.

Giving up on quality for a bit, decided to try my luck with the jack alsa plugin

Created /etc/asound.conf with the following

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
    }
}

Trying to use -Djack in aplay and -ao alsa:device=jack in mplayer gave
me unsupported format errors.  I created the following to work around
that  (Could be wrong, little experience with asound)

pcm.rate {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "jack"
    rate 48000
  }
}

Using that,  I cound get either 6 seconds of sound, or 12 seconds of
sound (Varies by how long the period is on the jackd command.
Doubling it gave me 2x as long audio).

Anyway,  I was wondering if anyone else has a few pointers to offer
me.  One thing that did catch me offguard is I did not realize that
the hda-intel soundchip had any problems from the alsa site.  I've
been doing some googling but I was unable to really find any way to
determine how capable any particular audio device is.  I did like how
the "Turtle Beach Montego II"  soundcard looks, but I want to learn
more about what I should be looking for before I continue

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------