Cultural differences question(s)

Richard A Downing FBCS CITP richard at langside.org.uk
Thu Mar 30 13:08:09 PST 2006

Spencer Collyer wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:45:39 +0100, Richard A Downing FBCS CITP wrote:
>> RavenKnight wrote:
>>> Hello Everybody,
>>>    I would like to ask a few questions about cultural differences
>>> between the United States and other country's, specifically in
>>> regarding business and academia. If this is not an acceptable topic
>>> for lfs-chat I apologize in advance.
>>>
>>> 1) What is the predominant language used in business in your country?
>> English, since we invented it.
>
> Surely it came originally from the North Sea coast of Germany and Denmark?

Nope, that's 'Old English'.  Modern English is definitely a product of
England, a fusion of Old English (as in Beowulf and Bede) and Norman
French (French with a Viking accent, I think), plus words from India and
Africa.  I note that the northern barbarians (who currently run the
country from their encampment in Whitehall - Tony, Gordon, Ming, The
Cameron of that ilk etc..) mostly speak the same language with an odd
accent, having forsaken their Celtic and Pictish heritage - I do wish
they would go home.

I suppose we should also advise Eric that the other thing he should
beware of is to think that the United Kingdom is united, or even that it
is a country!  England is a country, not a region, and American websites
that insist it is get very little trade here!  I suspect the same is
true in Caledonia, and the Druid's Principality, but half of Ulster
probably likes it.

R.