Following C code into libraries

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 20 11:03:41 PST 2006

  I'm trying to debug a problem with my sound card, and I think my lack
of C knowledge is stopping me.  When I run aplay, it takes as much cpu
as it can get and never comes back.  Strace shows it is in a tight loop.
So far, I've found that the last call from the app is snd_pcm_writei.
Looking at alsa-lib, this is a wrapper (assertions for safety checks)
around _snd_pcm_writei - and there the trail stops.

  What do I have to do to find the code for this function (or for any
other function beginning with an underscore) ?  I seem to recall that
names beginning with underscores are special in some way, but that's the
limit of my knowledge.

TIA,

Ken