SATA drives

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 08:34:57 PST 2006

The conclusion to this question, I believe...
I've edited a bit so the history reads sequentially, for my archives ;-)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:00:43 +0100 "Carlos Martín" <carlosmn at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 02/03/06, Andrei Mircea <mircea.andrei at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:27:24 +0100

>Specifically:

> > > I'm running my system on SATA right now. It's not on LFS, but it
> > > should work the same.
> > >
> > > SATA goes through SCSI at the moment, so it will be /dev/sd* and IIRC
> > > they behave just like SCSI disks.
> > >
> > > GRUB didn't want to find my disk saying it didn't have a BIOS
> > > enumeration, but I havent tried all that much.
> > >
> > > In the SCSI menu you need to activate SATA support and then the driver
> > > for your controller.
> > > --
> > > Carlos Martín Nieto        http://www.cmartin.tk

> > I have a SATA drive and use it with several Linux systems including LFS
>6.0.
> > All of them recognize the drive as IDE. However, even if there is only
>one drive,
> > they see it as /dev/hdc. This causes problems with some live Linux CDs
>which
> > do not boot but others see it fine.
> >         Andrei

>You are probably using the old (now deprecated) way. I'm using the newer
>one.

OK, now I've compiled a 2.6 kernel and got this working and it's still
reasonably
fresh in my memory... I admit that I was sceptical at first after the SATA
disk showed
up in my BIOS as Master device on IDE ch2 (primary=ch0). However it does
depend on the kernel.

In the kernel config there is an option, indeed marked as deprecated, for
SATA
support under the IDE section. There is also a separate sub-section for SATA
support
and -drivers under the SCSI low-level drivers section.

Thanks for the tips.
- Brandon.