hostname

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 10 12:37:10 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:25:04AM +0500, omaze at comcast.net wrote:

> You're right, it doesn't.  Taking the "why bother?" approach is
> dismissive, though.  The convention tends towards being correct over being
> dismissive.  There's plenty of "why bother?" throughout the book.

The convention is also towards "your distro, your rules" :) I wasn't
being dismissive, though. YOu asked if it was something to concern
yourself over. I said as bluntly as possible that it makes no
difference. If you are running a pre-made distro right now, then all of
your binaries that embed a hostname have the wrong one. However, setting
an environment variable in chroot may help. It depends on how hostname
is determined by the package, though.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch