Build on RS6000

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 7 16:51:06 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Shane Johnson wrote:

> Just wanted to check to see if anyone has built LFS on a RS6000 system and if
> they had any hints or suggestions.

  What sort of rs6000 ?  (That's a rhetorical question)  My impression is
that they've covered everything from early ppc, perhaps through ppc64,
to power.  I believe there are many different bootloaders for the
different models - I think some of them use a PReP boot partition, which
just holds the kernel (no, I've no idea how you get to choose between
multiple kernels on those boxes - I came across PReP partitions when I
had an AmigaOne, but that was very different, using u-boot and an msdos
partition table like a pc, and supported multiple boot partitions).

  I've happily run LFS on ppc, and I'm happily running CLFS now (and also
multilib on ppc64, but with enough issues to not describe it as
'happily' :-( ).  If it's a ppc or a ppc64 we can probably help (a bit)
on the clfs list for general issues (e.g. running a 64-bit kernel with
32-bit userspace), but model-specific niceties such as bootloaders are
probably outside our knowledge.

Ken