SATA drives

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:01:49 PST 2006

I saw a question on this list recently about usb kbd and mouse, so
now I ask a similar question about SATA disks....

Most of the hardware passing accross my desk is pretty old and I have
working IDE and SCSI configurations under Linux. But now SATA has arrived!
I am currently running an old LFS build a with a 2.4 kernel but preparing
for/
progressing with a more recent version, and I would appreciate any tips on
how to access a SATA disk. Specifically:

a) What type of device this shows up as: IDE, SCSI, USB, ???
b) Which kernel drivers are needed?
c) Under which device nodes do they show up,
e.g. /dev/sdx, /dev/hdx, /dev/???,...

TIA,
Brandon