Need some hints on embedding my LFS

Andrea Reina andrea at mandalaspa.com
Sun Aug 20 00:36:38 PDT 2006

> Hi,
>
> successfully having built my second lfs system it is time to dive into
> the actual goal behind it: creating an embedded environment for a single
> application to run automated.
> The system should boot from a flashdisk and run entirely in ram.
>
> Since there are many many files left, that I obviously won't need and
> since I am not experienced in thinning out a linux system I ask for help
> here now.
> Is there any hint/tutorial or whatsoever to help me? I couldn't find
> anything but the usual "..now delete everything that you don't need."
> wich would leave me to try and error. Quite a painfull and
> time-consuming thing.
>
> To give a little more information about what I aim for:
> I want to keep one complete system that I can use for building my
> binaries and transfer them to the small system wich should contain
> something like tiny-X-server, since I depend on accelerated graphics
> that my hardware won't provide using a framebuffer.
> This system should run entirely in ram. I have 1GB of ram, so there is
> no need to go absolutely mad about squeezing, but I just don't want to
> carry around 100s of megs of stuff noone will ever need.
>
> Let's see..
>
> Best regards,
> ../nico
>
> --

You can run some substitutions: instead of glibc (heavy!) use uclibc or
dietlibc. busybox is a command-line shell that has a lot of commands
built-in, which means that you can do away with a lot of the stuff
that's in the fileutils package.

You can also see what gets used or not by building the full system as
it's to be used, using it, then pulling up the last-access time for each
file, and so determine if it's being used by anything or not.

Walk in peace.
Andrea Reina