Need some hints on embedding my LFS

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 18 09:52:50 PDT 2006

Nico Berndt wrote:

> Since there are many many files left, that I obviously won't need and
> since I am not experienced in thinning out a linux system I ask for help
> here now.

Personally, I would look through the bootscripts first.  Decide on which
ones you need to have run when the embedded environment comes up.  For
each of those scripts look at which executables are called.  If it is a
binary, I'd call `readelf -ds /path/to/binary | grep NEEDED` to see
which dynamic libraries it needs.  If the executable happens to be
another script, I'd look through to see which scripts/binaries it calls,
etc.

Once you've got it booting, add your additional application and any
other dependencies it has and you should be good to go.

I'd do this on a separate partition though, copying from a full LFS
build.  That way, you've got a pristine LFS to restore from, should
things go awry.

Bear in mind, I've never attempted this, so this advice may be way off!

Regards,

Matt.