Need some hints on embedding my LFS

steve crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 02:21:31 PDT 2006

On 8/18/06, Nico Berndt <groups at komeda-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To give a little more information about what I aim for:
> I want to keep one complete system that I can use for building my
> binaries and transfer them to the small system wich should contain
> something like tiny-X-server, since I depend on accelerated graphics
> that my hardware won't provide using a framebuffer.

If your embedded system will not be compiling anything, you can remove
the following as a start, which is a big chunk.

/usr/include
autoconf
automake
gcc

You can also remove all the info, doc and man pages if you want.

The best way to deal with this problem is to review each application
that is installed by LFS, and decide if you need it or not. If not,
use the installed programs section of each package to determine what
to remove (or better yet use one of the package management hints to
get a more accurate list during the build process)

When you've done all that, use man to decide if whats left is required
- things that can be removed easily if you don't need them are gawk,
perl, make, etc.

With additional packages installed for a dedicated firewall, I have a
CD-booting LFS based system + extras down to 25Mb (without X)

--
-- -
Steve Crosby