Anybody understand perl ?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 26 17:57:02 PDT 2005

  I feel like I'm in a maze of twisty passages, all different.  On x86_64
multilib, I've now got 32-bit and 64-bit versions of perl installed,
apparently successfully.  The 32-bit version is invoked as 'perl-32',
the 64-bit as just 'perl'.

  The "apparently" is because *both* of them report
libc=/lib/libc-2.3.90.so from perl(,-32} -V [ so, I've still got to fix
that ], but they do seem to work - with expat installed in both /usr/lib
and /usr/lib64, I can successfully build XML-Parser (which includes an
invokation of gcc with -m32/-m64, and creates Expat.so) with both
perl-32 (installs Expat.so below /usr/lib/perl5, 'file' thinks it is
Intel 80386) and perl (/usr/lib64/perl5, AMD x86-64).  So, time for the
big question:

  Would I ever want 32-bit perl modules on a multilib x86_64 system ?  If
perl is invoked as just 'perl', it will be the 64-bit version.  Is any
non-perl program *likely* to link against libraries from a perl module ?

  Initial testing on the x86 side of this box suggests nothing in
/usr/bin or /usr/lib is linked against Expat.so, although I think
XML-Parser was originally needed as a dependency for gnumeric.

  Clue appreciated, even if it takes the form of a cluebat!

Ken
--
  -EMY_BRAIN_HURTS