64bit! But which one?

Alan Lord lord_alan at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:32:55 PDT 2005

Thanks Ken,

Hmmmm it all sounds a bit too "messy" for my tastes. Perhaps 64bit isn't
quite ready for action yet?

I tend to build LFSs frequently and like to keep them as pure an
unadaulterated as possible.

Maybe I will build a "normal" 32bit linux and run with that for a while
until I can build a nice and clean 64bit system...

Thanks for the input.

Al

<snip>...
> 1. What type of LFS should I build? Pure 64bit in /lib only, /lib32 &
> /lib64 or something else?

 I suspect that OOo will want to be 32-bit.  That probably means you
will want "conventional" multilib (lib+lib64).  Worst case, one of the
dependencies will link to X libraries, which will mean you need both 32-
and 64-bit versions of X. (hint: identify all the dependencies first, so
that you build the necessary 32-bit libraries before corresponding
64-bit versions!)  The main downside to lib+lib64 (ignoring any issues
with multiple versions of X, perl, pkgconfig,
python) is that you need to make sure each 64-bit application which has
libraries uses lib64
 - not a big deal in itself, but you need to check each new package.

> 2. Is there a dual boot bootloader that can boot a 64bit Linux and
> WinXP? I will need to keep M$ on here for a while.

 Lilo or grub (I have no experience of booting XP, but both are reputed
to be able to do that) - the 64-bit kernel is no big deal.  The only
issue with grub is that it has to be built as 32-bit (lilo probably
sneaks through this hurdle on pure64 by using bin86).

> 3. I am assuming I will need the 64bit liveCD (or a gentoo type
distro)
> as my starting point or should I "cross build" on my P4 and then copy
> (how?) over to the AMD box?

 Whatever you feel comfortable with ;)   Actually, you're going to have
to partition the disk, and I imagine your athlon64 will be faster than
the P4, so if you've got the space why not build (or install) an i686
system, then use that to cross-build.  If you follow Cross-LFS, you will
need to be running a 64-bit kernel for chapter 9 (temporary tools)
onwards - for a Live CD that will indeed force you to use a 64-bit
version, but from an installed system you can just cross-compile a
64-bit kernel and run it with the 32-bit userspace.

 If you have a bootable CD that will let you partition the disk, make
some filesystems, mount one, bring up networking, and run ssh then you
can probably copy the current system from the P4 using ssh.

Ken