Evolution

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 06:21:46 PDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Richard A Downing <richard at langside.org.uk> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am becoming very fond of the Evolution email client. Am I alone
> > here?

I used to love it, then I tried to upgrade from 1 to 2. Horror.
Especially since I was using pop and having all my mail stored
locally.  After finally getting evo 2 to run (sort of) I tried to go
back to 1... more horror. Evo 2 did things to my .gconf stuff that Evo
1 didn't like. Such an incredible PITA.

Then I tried Evo 2 again, with a fresh lfs install. I figured that
since I didn't have an old .gconf laying around everything would be
fine. Everything was fine, in fact, until I tried to add a contact.
Simply could not. The problem was similar one discussed recently on
another list (blfs-support I think). Since then I've pretty much given
up on Evolution.

I must admit, when it works, it's great. I do miss the rss feed stuff,
but hey I guess there's rss readers out there to do that job, right?
Would be great if I could find a reliable way to set up the ximian
exchange connector every time too (as opposed to sometimes it works,
and sometimes it doesn't).

I've been using my powerbook more than my desktop lately, and so
Mail.app and iCal, etc. have really taken the place of Evo for my day
to day PIM stuff.  When I do use my desktop, I use Kontact (aka
kdepim).

Mike