Digital Photography under Linux

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 19 05:06:49 PDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Richard A Downing wrote:

> Anyone else into this?   What do others use?

  For nikon coolpix5700:

  'mount' and 'cp -a' to get the files onto the computer (it's a
usb-storage device).

  Imagemagick for initial cropping and resizing, and viewing with
'display'.  e.g. on my ibook I'll copy the images to a subdirectory
where I can crop and resize them to < 1024x768.  At that point, I can
decide which of the images have any merit, and how to crop them.  If I
could work out why the 'pan' icon in 'display' comes up with a tiled
image, I'd be happy (if you close the pan window, it reappears with a
sensible preview of the whole picture - it's been like this since
gcc-3.3 days).

  For serious editing, the gimp (and gimp-help, when I can remember how
to get it working - last time I tried it, no help showed up, probably
some sort of gnome default-browser issue, and no mozilla for it to fall
back to).

  If I ever use raw images, dcraw plus ufraw to provide a gimp plugin.
But mostly, I shoot jpegs because they're so much quicker - I get more
chance of a decent picture if I can take several (subjects are typically
butterflies, which make the autofocus work hard), and the camera is a
lot slower than the old manual 35mm kit.

  It seems to me that the bug-bear is local printing.  I use gutenprint
(gimp-print, as was) to print onto A4 on my epson stylus, with escputil
to actually make the printer semi-usable.  Looks like I'm going to have
to move to cups to be able to adjust the driver settings.

Ken