Digital Photography under Linux

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Wed Oct 19 01:22:43 PDT 2005

Advice sought on this topic.

I use:

gphoto2 - to get files off the camera.
jhead/libexif - to rename jpeg images with the date/time taken.
imagemagick - to rotate/scale/reformat etc. the images.
gimp - to edit the images.
gqview - to view images and present slideshows on screen.

Since my camera is a Canon, I also use libdcraw to manipulate RAW image
files.  This gives better results, more control, a whole lot more
trouble - it's the digital equivalent of having a color darkroom in the
basement instead of taking the film to the drugstore.

Anyone else into this?   What do others use?

I'm trying to get a comprehensive hint together - we might even get a
chapter in BLFS out of it.

R.