Evolution

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Wed Oct 19 01:14:36 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am becoming very fond of the Evolution email client. Am I alone
> here? It seems to do everything Thunderbird does, and some things
> better.

> What I think is a drag:
>
> 1. The dependency list. I'm certain this alone keeps many folks
> from ever trying out Evolution. However, if you use GNOME, you
> should consider looking at Evolution.

I thought it was good too, but that was when I was trying out GNOME,
some months ago.  It's that vast weight of packages that I'll only ever
use to support evolution that puts me off it.  Still, maybe its time to
give it another try. I also like Sylpheed, but it's not as 'polished' as
either Evo or Tbird.

On the other hand, I'm slowly winning the war with my relations and
friends to wean them off Anti-Trust-Criminal Software by getting them
all to use Thunderbird and Firefox on Windows, then I show them how much
they could have saved by running OpenOffice on Windows, and then, yes!
"What's the point of buying Windows when everything I use runs faster on
Linux?"

I got my Pa (85) to this point recently, only to have his Nikon Camera
Software knock me back, so the current project is Digital Photography
under Linux (Hint in preparation).

So I ought to show 'solidarity' by using Thunderbird myself - some of
them sneakily check on the headers - I wish I hadn't shown them that!

R.