Evolution

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 18 21:41:57 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I am becoming very fond of the Evolution email client. Am I alone
here? It seems to do everything Thunderbird does, and some things
better.

What I think is better:

1. The spell checker is better. Instead of running the spell-checker
after you hit the send button, you can make it do it on the fly,
identifying mistakes as you type them. You don't have to go through
the dialog that Thunderbird does, asking you to confirm known good
stuff that you haven't added to your personal dictionary yet.

2. I use a sig that is generated on the fly. In Thunderbird, this
requires me to run a cron job every couple of minutes to update my
sig (ugh). Evolution allows you to run a script to generate your
sig. No need for the cron job.

3. It has a calendar built in.

4. Has hooks to use Exchange (this is important to some folks).

What I think is a drag:

1. The dependency list. I'm certain this alone keeps many folks
from ever trying out Evolution. However, if you use GNOME, you
should consider looking at Evolution.

Not sure what prompted me to post this. Just conversation, I suppose.
After all, this *is* a chat list.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [bogomips 3923.96] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.1]
[GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.5] [Linux 2.6.12.6 i686]
23:31:26 up 10 days, 8:40, 9 users, load average: 0.42, 0.20, 0.19