Opteron system coming soon!

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Oct 18 07:09:28 PDT 2005

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, John Gay wrote:
>

>> Building from a 64bit LiveCD should simplify things considerably, but
I'll
>> still need to watch where the libs go. I'm hoping to put the 64bit libs
in
>> /lib and any 32bit ones I need into /lib32, but I understand that might
be a
>> bit tricky, so I'll definitely be back here asking questions, or, more
>> correctly the LFS and BLFS support lists as appropriate.
>>
>  John, welcome to the bleeding edge!  I recommend you make sure you can
> create at least two rootfses on your disk(s) [ three is probably better,
> to give you freedom for excursions into different build-methods ]. Make
> them big enough for whatever you plan to install, even if you think it
> will be in /usr/local or /opt.

I plan to leave plenty of room for playing around. I'm still considering
just installing Ubunto-64 for my main desktop until I get the LFS/BLFS stuff
figured out.

The boards got the standard 2 IDE connectors, 4 SATA ports and I've got a
RAID card with another 2 IDE connectors. I've a stack of old hard drives
lying around each with various stuff I've collected over the years and it'll
be nice to access all that again.

I also plan to buy at least 1 large drive, possibly SATA, for my main
install.

>  So far, I know that Ryan intends to get into variations on the lib
> structure when he has time, and I'm *hoping* to try lib with lib32 after
> I've got a working multilib (lib, lib64) build [ I'm stuck with
> unsatisfactory 32-bit glibc test results at the moment, wondering what
> I'm doing wrong ].
>
>  Jim has suggested I look at his patches for pure-64 mips, I guess
> that's MULTILIB_DIRNAMES and friends in the gcc-4.0.2-mips_pure64-1
> patch.  If you don't hack at least gcc, it will default to lib and
> lib64.

I might look into just a pure 64 system to start with. But I know I'll end
up needing some 32 bit stuff at some point. Maybe building a pure 64 system
first, and then building the 32 bit stuff later might be easier?

>  I hope your requirements for the applications won't prevent you using
> the recent versions we're using in Cross-LFS.  Don't forget to monitor
> the lfs-dev list if you use Cross-LFS.  And however you do it, enjoy the
> journey.

Well to start, I'll only be using Open Source stuff, but I do have a 64bit
copy of Houdini for playing with and I'm still waiting for Maya to release a
Linux version of thier personal edition. Don't think I'll ever stretch to
buying either. ?2000 for the box was hard enough to spend. Don't fancy
spending several more K on software as well (-;

I'm looking forward to the journey and I'll check out lfs-dev when I start
building.

Cheers,

	John Gay