Opteron system coming soon!

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 18 06:35:40 PDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, John Gay wrote:

> Building from a 64bit LiveCD should simplify things considerably, but I'll
> still need to watch where the libs go. I'm hoping to put the 64bit libs in
> /lib and any 32bit ones I need into /lib32, but I understand that might be a
> bit tricky, so I'll definitely be back here asking questions, or, more
> correctly the LFS and BLFS support lists as appropriate.

  John, welcome to the bleeding edge!  I recommend you make sure you can
create at least two rootfses on your disk(s) [ three is probably better,
to give you freedom for excursions into different build-methods ]. Make
them big enough for whatever you plan to install, even if you think it
will be in /usr/local or /opt.

  So far, I know that Ryan intends to get into variations on the lib
structure when he has time, and I'm *hoping* to try lib with lib32 after
I've got a working multilib (lib, lib64) build [ I'm stuck with
unsatisfactory 32-bit glibc test results at the moment, wondering what
I'm doing wrong ].

  Jim has suggested I look at his patches for pure-64 mips, I guess
that's MULTILIB_DIRNAMES and friends in the gcc-4.0.2-mips_pure64-1
patch.  If you don't hack at least gcc, it will default to lib and
lib64.

  I hope your requirements for the applications won't prevent you using
the recent versions we're using in Cross-LFS.  Don't forget to monitor
the lfs-dev list if you use Cross-LFS.  And however you do it, enjoy the
journey.

Ken