Favorite ps command?

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Sun Oct 16 11:52:24 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Richard A Downing wrote these words on 10/16/05 13:27 CST:
<snip>
>>What do you use?  And why?  Am I alone in having this perverted view of
>>our favorite process status lister?
>

> I started using 'ps -ef' in the late 80's as a UNIX sysadmin on
> HP-UX, AIX and SCO. Been using it ever since. To me, it is much more
> informative than '-ax'. Shows who owns the process and when it was
> started among other things.

One thing I like about ps ax is that it's one key less that ps -ax - but
gives the same result.  Try ps ef and you get a completely different
output to ps-ef!

If was a post by Bruce in blfs-support that prompted the question.  He
uses -ef too.  I see the attraction.  Maybe I can retrain my wrist and
fingers, I think it's in muscle memory now :-) we'll see.

R.