C or ioctl help needed.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 9 09:02:09 PDT 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Richard A Downing wrote:

> Yes, Google gave me a lot of hits on it too, but I didn't understand a
> them :-)

  I don't understand how to find the connection between the ioctl visible
to the program, and the code that gets called in the kernel, I was
hoping somebody would jump in.  Of course, I'm assuming that the C
library (dietlibc, in this case), passes that ioctl to the kernel.

> Taking your suggestion, I commented the ioctl out.  This produces a
> working (?) fgetty.  However, I now have the problem that the bash that
> results from logging in has job control off.  Starts:
>
> -bash: job control disabled in this shell
>
> I think this is because it's been started without the tty being the
> controlling tty.

  Yes.  I didn't mean you to not call the ioctl, just ignore any error
code (or perhaps call 'logger' to log it on syslog if you are up to it).

> I also tried mingetty, from which fgetty is derived, and got the same
> problem - no job control.  And gogetty, same thing.  Clearly there is
> something here that I don't yet understand.

  Does regular agetty provide job control when linked against dietlibc
(if it can be linked against it) ?  From memory, dietlibc is by far the
smallest of the C libraries, which means some things have to go.  Sorry
if you are actually using a full dietlibc system, but it isn't clear
from this thread.

Ken