alsa issues

USM Bish bish at touchtelindia.net
Sun Oct 9 07:36:31 PDT 2005

Folks,

I am  new to LFS  (but not  Linux). Have been  enjoying myself
over the last  2-3 weeks trying to get my  LFS system going. I
have reached the BLFS stages only. Everything went honky dory,
working perfectly as per the 'book', till I got stuck on alsa.

I have an old Intel-845  mother board. The relevant lspci line
is as follows:

00:11.5  Multimedia audio  controller: VIA  Technologies, Inc.
VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)

alsaconf fails  to recognise  this card  though it  is running
with my existing 2.4.24 Slackware setup.

Yes, the kernel  is an issue here. The relevant  section of my
.config made during kernel compile is here:

---------------------<snip>-------------------------
#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
# CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY is not set
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

#
# PCI devices
#
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y

Something wrong somewhere ?

Bish

[PS : Dont tell me 'RTFM'. I am wading through all the info on
the alsa web page as of now,  woooof !. Just a quick help from
anybody with this kind of adventure may save hours of RTFM]